April 2010 Minutes

Ley Hill Parent and Teacher Association

Committee Meeting

21st  April 2010

 Present:  Emma Summers, Simon Redlich, Sally Kendall, Dulcie Mclerie, Katie Batchelor, Natalie Lohneis, Nigel Hoff.

Apologies:  Heather Dolder, Celine Studer, Amanda Byer, Teresa Shaw

Key Fund Raising Dates

The following dates were agreed or reconfirmed for the key events for 2010:

Summer Term

Sausage Sizzle                           Wednesday 5th May

Sausage Sizzle                           Wednesday 23rd June

Summer Fayre                         Saturday 26th June

Summer Disco                         Friday 16th July

Autumn Term

Family BBQ                         Saturday 25th September (2nd October in reserve)

New ideas for discussion
Table top sale Treasure hunt in cars Auction of promises
Ready Steady Cook Boating/canoeing Greek night
Parents vs. Staff sports Car boot sale 50/50 auction

 Hundred Club
Possible to promote and manage through the website.  £1 per go for a prize or percentage of takings.  Action:  Simon to investigate the lotteries licence to see if this (and lucky bucket) is covered.

Piano Concert
One of the Nursery parents is an accomplished pianist and plays all over the world.  He has offered to put on a public concert to raise funds for the school.  The immediate issue is the choice of venue.  This is being progressed by the Nursery co-ordinators

Film Club
Action: Nigel to confirm with Dulcie that the 7th July would be a suitable date.  Percy and the Lightning Thief has been suggested.

Academic Calendar
It’s time to start drawing together potential advertisers and formats for this year’s calendar.  One suggestion was to host the calendar on the website for people to download and print, but in a monthly format so the calendar area can be larger and be written on.  Action:  Sally to progress.

Supermarket Voucher Scheme to be promoted after half term.

A PTA information pack should be compiled in time for the September intake, along with an introductory page to be included in a new prospectus.

Events

Quiz Night – Overall this was a success but in future we should over-cater on food (which was excellent as usual) as some people went without.  Action:  Sally to ask for budding QMs on a future flyer.  Post meeting note:  Dave Peterson (Cricket Club) has been very active as a QM in the local community and may be a good person to approach for the school dates.  Action: Nigel to ask around local heads and at the Crown who host a regular quiz night.

26/03/10 Easter Disco – The new team structure worked well and many thanks go to everyone who helped on the night.  Some changes have been suggested and a checklist will be drawn up and published for future events.  The 16th July has been provisionally tagged for the end of year disco, Action: Emma to check whether Anne Lee would be available for a farewell event.

31/03/10 Easter Fayre – The Plant-a-Stick during break time worked brilliantly.  The staff were very pleased with how smooth the operation was and it raised £109.  It has been suggested that rather than having one large prize in future, there should be a number of smaller ones.

April ’10 CD Bell – The plant letter has gone out.  We receive 25% cash back on sales so in future years could try to extend the offer to the local community.

2010 Sausage Sizzles – Teresa has agreed 5th May and 23rd June with the school and the Swan.  The flier for the June date will be published on the website to hopefully save photocopying.

24/06/10 Open Evening – In previous years we have run a French Cafe on open evening and this could be discussed at the next meeting.

26/06/10 Summer Fayre – Natalie has booked the bouncy castle/slide.   It has been decided that sending out begging letters for raffle prizes and/or sponsorship will involve a lot of effort from a handful of people and is not viable this time.  All Action Points are Listed on the 2010 Summer Fayre Planner.

July ’10 – Nigel has agreed that the PTA may sell bottled water at Sports Day and icepops on select dates after school during the summer term.

25/09/10 Ceilidh/Family BBQ – We held a very popular BBQ on this weekend last year, so we will try for a longer event with a bar and a band this year.  Ashley Green Hall has been suggested as a venue and KatieB may be able to get us a preferential rate.  Reserve date 2/10/10.

Buy.at –  Action:  Sally to promote.  We raised £17.06 on 9 sales during December.
 

Finance

We have raised £4,800 so far this academic year.  Total spend so far has been in the region of £6,000 on the literacy scheme and the new IT suite whiteboard.  The closing balance on the PTA accounts at the end of the last academic year was approximately £15,500.

New ideas to be carried forward

Year 6 Yearbooks.  Action: Emma to speak to Niki.

Wireless notebooks for the library.

Plants for the raised beds in the newly paved area at the front of the school.  £600 expenditure was agreed by the committee.

Green Issues.  As the texting service has been such a success, the promotion of eco-friendly/electronic delivery systems will be progressed.  Ideas like the PTA website will aid this.  Parentmail is now operational.

Rotary Club Christmas Fundraiser.  No response to date.

Song books.  There is scope to produce songbooks for resale.  Our current licence allows for song books for keepsakes/home worship for 25% of the congregation per year although there are guidelines on pricing.  We need to establish demand before we put the work into this project.

Outside lighting for chairs & tables shed – The lighting has been fixed.

Fashion Show – Possible revisit in October 2010.  Action: Sally to check with the local authority about the need for licensed chaperones.

School Library – The school has replaced a lot of the library books recently but there are concerns that these are not as accessible as they could be, due to the lack of a librarian.  Action:  Rosie to talk to the rest of the staff about possible roles for parent helpers in school and maybe we can run a recruitment drive alongside the PTA initiative.

There is a possibility that the PTA shed will move in time to come.  The current parking bay for the minibus looks like a suitable location.

The next meeting is Monday 24th May in The Swan, at 8pm