July 2011 Minutes

Ley Hill Parent and Teacher Association

Committee Meeting

14th July 2011

Present: Emma Summers, Sophie Newman, Rosie Mann, Heather Smith, Dulcie Mclerie, Sally Kendall, Claire Offlow, Simon Redlich

Apologies: Claire Matyus-Flynn

Key Fund Raising Dates

The following dates were agreed or reconfirmed for the key events for 2011:

Autumn Term

Funmats – After school drop in sessions to create artwork for cards/placemats/etc.

Sunday 4th September – Shed clearance

Monday 12th September – AGM and Committee meeting

Saturday 17th September – Family BBQ

Sunday 2nd October – Cross Country Challenge

November Film Club – Possibly “Rio”

Sunday 20th November – Christmas Fayre

Spring Term

Mid-March – Quiz Night

April – Disco to be discussed

Other ideas for discussion
Table top sale/car boot Firework display Auction of promises
Ready Steady Cook Boating/canoeing Greek night
Parents vs. Staff sports Masked ball Christmas tree sales

Film Club – Raised £311.  The system of collecting children from the classrooms worked well.  We should ask for phone numbers on the booking forms, in case of any problems with collections.  An adult film night has been suggested.

Pasta Pronto – Running well with good uptake.  Termly payment will be offered in future to make the admin simpler.  ParentPay has been suggested, although there will be an additional cost.  The new intake will be invited to join in the second half term of the Autumn term.  Booking forms for the rest of school will go out w/c 18/7.

Sausage Sizzle – Ice cream special with ice lollies and choc ices.  Well received and easier to run than the ice cream van from the previous year.

Summer Fayre – Profits were around £1700.  The £1 entrance fee worked OK, especially when run alongside the balloon competition.  Despite a last minute change in the organisation, the food court worked well and would do better again with more forward planning.  There was praise for the traditional pocket money attractions like the tin can alley and the golf game.  The ice cream van was expensive and only netted £35 commission, but the layout in the courtyard was excellent, so we should consider running our own ice-cream stall in its place in future years.  A henna stall could be booked with more notice.  StepToIt were very good and happy to come again.  The book donations were down but still made £60.  The face painting was very well received and they probably could have charged more for the quality of the work.  The sock game was a good idea and Christmassy ‘feely boxes’ have been suggested for the Christmas Fayre.  The inflatable assault course was popular but the traditional castle was hardly used.

Lots of positive feedback about the band and requests that they play in future.

Licenced events – To make the administration easier, we will consider getting an unlimited 12 month licence.  The break-even point is thought to be 10 events and this is achievable.  Action:  Simon to investigate costs and requirements – eg.  is the licencee required to be on site for the duration; is it possible to have two named licencees to  cover this?

Bouncy castles – We have been offered a bouncy castle at reduced price.  Action:  Sally to investigate safety requirements.  PM note: The HSE require annual safety checks (PIPA or equivalent) on equipment which is to be hired out.  Charging for the use of equates to hiring out.

Proposed spending – Action:  Simon to speak to Nigel regarding the cost of a new reading scheme (expected £3k).  There will be an appeal for good quality books to be donated to the library and after that an additional sum (£1k has been suggested) will be given to bring the free-reading selection up to standard.

Hall curtains – These will now be purchased from capex but cannot be installed until after the hall has been redecorated.

Scavenger Hunt – Well received and raised around £80 each for the museum and LHS.  We will be running a longer hunt over the summer holidays which will involve the local community producing craft hearts to be hung in the high street shops.  54 businesses have agreed to participate so far.

Ink Catridge Recycling
All suppliers so far require pre-sorting, eg. no Epson cartridges, and what we need is blanket collection for minimum effort. Sue Dyer believes her school has such a supplier and will get the name for us.

Funds to Date
We are on target to raise around £10k this academic year, up from £8k last year.

Events

14/08/11 – Classic Cars on the Common.  The PTA have been offered the BBQ.  Cricket Club to supply the grill.  SallyK to lead.

02/10/11 Cross Country Challenge – Possibility of PTA run teas/coffees/etc.  Action:  Sally to get details from Nigel.

20/11/11 Christmas Fayre

03/12/11 Cocktail Evening – Band has been booked.

Christmas Parties – Action:  Emma to book Mr Marvel for KS1 and Cheeky Maleeky for KS2.

Buy.at – We have raised £8.33 to date in 2011.

New ideas to be carried forward

Website. Heather discussed the possibility of setting up a community website to help fundraise for the PTA. Concerns were raised whether this may clash with existing websites. To investigate further.

Noticeboard for main school. The Nursery noticeboard has been a great success and one by the wall for main school would be much appreciated. Action: Nigel to consider/cost.

Bulk purchase of theatre tickets for group trips? Action: Claire M-F to investigate further options.

Christmas tree sales. Action: Heather to investigate.

The school has been invited to participate in the 2012 Diamond Jubilee celebrations and it has been agreed that we shift our summer fayre efforts for that year. The organisers anticipate 2-3,000 visitors and are laying on free buses from Amersham, Chesham and Bovingdon. The date is set for Monday 4th June.

The next meeting and AGM is on Monday 12th September in The Crown, at 8pm