June 2011 Minutes

Ley Hill Parent and Teacher Association

Committee Meeting

13th June 2011

Present: Emma Summers, Claire Matyus-Flynn, Sophie Newman, Nigel Hoff, Heather Smith, Dulcie Mclerie, Sally Kendall, Claire Offlow

Apologies:

Key Fund Raising Dates

The following dates were agreed or reconfirmed for the key events for 2011:

Summer Term

Sunday 3rd July – Summer Fayre

Wednesday 13th July – Film Club

Autumn Term

24th/25th September – Family BBQ

Sunday 2nd October – Cross Country Challenge

November Film Club

Spring Term

Mid-March – Quiz Night

Other ideas for discussion
Table top sale/car boot Firework display Auction of promises
Ready Steady Cook Boating/canoeing Greek night
Parents vs. Staff sports Masked ball Christmas tree sales

Denim & Diamonds – A successful evening, enjoyed by all and raising around £700 in total.  It was suggested to start at 7pm in future, eat at 8pm to make the end of the evening easier to manage.  Raffle prizes should be applied for in January according to feedback from those who were approached.

Pasta Pronto – Running well with good uptake.  Automated payments would make life easier for all and Simon is considering whether it would be manageable.  ParentPay has been suggested, although there will be an additional cost.

Proposed spending – Books featured top of the recent ballot.  Action:  Nigel to liaise with Amy and Kate regarding the cost of a new reading scheme (expected £3k).  Curtains can be achieved in the same time span and these are expected to cost in the region of £3k.

May Scavenger Hunt – Well received and raised £75 each for the museum and LHS.  There are proposed plans for a longer hunt over the summer holidays.

Supermarket Vouchers
Action: Sally & Heather to plagiarise the Chesham Grammar website for promotional ideas. Also, DCHS run a prize draw each Christmas for £100 vouchers and this is a good idea. Could maybe allocate entries according to monthly subscriptions as at end September. eg. one entry per £50 monthly spend? Tesco have started a scheme.

Ink Catridge Recycling
All suppliers so far require pre-sorting, eg. no Epson cartridges, and what we need is blanket collection for minimum effort. Sue Dyer believes her school has such a supplier and will get the name for us.

Ballot Paper
Of 268 ballot papers, 70 responses were returned, all in favour of being consulted.  Books came out ahead, with the kitchen revamp and hall curtains in second and third.

Funds to Date
We are on target to raise £9k this academic year, up from £8k last year.

Events

3/07/11 Sumer Fayre – See planner.

July Sausage Sizzle – Angela H is planning an ice cream special, though the van proved hard to manage last year.

13/07/11 July Film Club – Rango. Pizza was been suggested but works out more expensive, so hot dogs will continue. Dulcie has a DVD player which can be dedicated to the task. Action: All to consider improvements to the organisation, including more helpers and a smoother move to the dining hall at the end of school. It has been suggested that we could offer free places to Year 6 children who were willing to adopt their ‘wet play’ roles and act as prefects.  Nursery children to be invited, with a parent present throughout.

14/07/11 – Sports Day.  PTA to sell icepops and bottled water.  Nigel to speak to Anne and Len about possible layouts/access to the ‘water station’.

14/08/11 – Classic Cars on the Common.  The PTA have been offered the BBQ.  Cricket Club to supply the grill.  Claire M-F is unavailable but will advise on quantity planning.  SallyK to lead.

02/10/11 Cross Country Challenge – Possibility of PTA run teas/coffees/etc.

09/12/11 Cocktail Evening – Date has been proposed to avoid a clash with the Victorian Evening on 2/12.

04/12/11 Christmas Fayre – Same weekend as Victorian Evening and Brownies event (Saturday 3/12).  Possible reserve date of Saturday 10th December.

Christmas Parties – Action:  Emma to book Mr Marvel for KS1 and Cheeky Maleeky for KS2.

Buy.at – We have raised £8.33 to date in 2011.

New ideas to be carried forward

Website. Heather discussed the possibility of setting up a community website to help fundraise for the PTA. Concerns were raised whether this may clash with existing websites. To investigate further.

Noticeboard for main school. The Nursery noticeboard has been a great success and one by the wall for main school would be much appreciated. Action: Nigel to consider/cost.

Bulk purchase of theatre tickets for group trips? Action: Claire M-F to investigate further options.

Christmas tree sales. Action: Heather to investigate.

Sell photos from school trips. Action: Dulcie to investigate. Year 5 PGL photos have been offered FOC to parents from the school.

The school has been invited to participate in the 2012 Diamond Jubilee celebrations and it has been agreed that we shift our summer fayre efforts for that year. The organisers anticipate 2-3,000 visitors and are laying on free buses from Amersham, Chesham and Bovingdon. The date is set for Monday 4th June.

The next meeting is on Monday 11th July (PM Update, Thursday 14th July) in The Crown, at 8pm