March 2011 Minutes

Ley Hill Parent and Teacher Association

Committee Meeting

21st March 2011

Present: Emma Summers, Claire Matyus-Flynn, Simon Redlich, Claire Offlow, Sophie Newman, Nigel Hoff, Heather Smith, Dulcie Mclerie, Sally Kendall

Apologies:

Key Fund Raising Dates

The following dates were agreed or reconfirmed for the key events for 2011:

Spring Term

Wednesday 30th March – Sausage Sizzle

Friday 1st April – Disco

Friday 8th April – Easter Egg Hunt

Saturday 21st May – May Ball

May – Scavenger Hunt

Sunday 3rd July – Summer Fayre

Other ideas for discussion
Table top sale/car boot Firework display Auction of promises
Ready Steady Cook Boating/canoeing Greek night
Parents vs. Staff sports Masked ball Christmas tree sales

Quiz Night. A resounding success.  Well received by everyone and the numbers were on a par with last year.  We need to rejig things to finish earlier in future (aim for 10:30) to avoid breaching the all-quiet agreement with local residents.  A number of chairs and tables were damp and dirty when brought out of the shed, so maintenance will need to be carried out.

Expenditure. The PTA have agreed to give the school £14,000 over two years and the first payment has been made. The PTA accounts presently hold around £10,000.  Members of the PTA committee have proposed capex on banqueting tables, curtains for the main hall and a refurbishment of the kitchen to better support events, subject to a ballot of parents. Additional proposals are welcomed.  A commercial BBQ may be a benefit and a reconditioned unit could be bought for £300.  A bain marie would also be of use in catering for events such as the quiz night.

There have been a number of projects around the school recently which may have been funded by the PTA if the cash sponsorship scheme had not been adopted.  These include the NoMo, £6,000 worth of IT investment and an ongoing refurbishment project in the main building.

Sophie has found a good, cheap supplier for cutlery and unit prices appear to start at 10p.  Action:  Sophie to investigate further.

Supermarket Vouchers
Action: Sally & Heather to plagiarise the Chesham Grammar website for promotional ideas. Also, DCHS run a prize draw each Christmas for £100 vouchers and this is a good idea. Could maybe allocate entries according to monthly subscriptions as at end September. eg. one entry per £50 monthly spend?  Tesco have started a scheme.

Ink Catridge Recycling
All suppliers so far require pre-sorting, eg. no Epson cartridges, and what we need is blanket collection for minimum effort.  Sue Dyer believes her school has such a supplier and will get the name for us.

May Spring Clean
A date needs to be set in May to clean out the PTA cupboard and shed.  Friday 1st April has been earmarked as a start date.

Events

30/03/11 Sausage SizzleAction: Claire M-F to organise. Flyers have been sent out.

1/04/11 School Disco – Anne Lee has agreed to run another disco for us. Bob Marshall has confirmed he can take care of the music.  Action: Heather to find out the requirement for tables and get them from the shed.  Action:  Emma to check with the NCPTA for advice on insurance issues and the need to have a staff member on site for the duration.

8/04/11 Easter Egg HuntAction:  Emma to speak to Dr Newman about borrowing a couple of  Year 6’s for bunny duty.  Action: Dulcie to put together a plan for Nursery.  Claire O has bought all the prizes and lolly sticks.  Entry fee remains at £1 in exchange for a lolly stick, which can be bought and named outside school in the 2 or 3 days leading up to the event.

May Pasta Pronto – All Fridays from 7/5 to the half term to run as a pilot for the Brake Bros Pasta Pronto product range.  Suggested price is £2 per child per day, to be booked as a block each half term.

May 2011 Scavenger Hunt in CarsAction: Dulcie has started the planning process in collaboration with Chesham museum. There are suggestions for a week long event over the Whitsun half term, culminating in a morning session which finishes at the Elgiva.

21/05/11 May BallAction: Sophie to progress.  Band has been booked, catering is planned, licence is in place.  Nigel has volunteered to help on the bar.

10/06/11 Bag2School – The next collection has been booked and bags will be distributed before half term.

June Film Club – Yogi Bear and Tangled have been suggested.  Dulcie has a DVD player which can be dedicated to the task.  Action:  All to consider improvements to the organisation, including more helpers and a smoother move to the dining hall at the end of school.  It has been suggested that we could offer free places to Year 6 children who were willing to adopt their ‘wet play’ roles and act as prefects.

June 2010 Golf Day – To be promoted through the school but run by the golf club as a fundraiser for the school. Action: Jo Jennings to co-ordinate.

3/07/11 Sumer FayreAction:  ClaireO to contact the Step2It dance group about performing on the day.  Action:  All to look for falconry/ferrets/petting zoos and ‘traditional’ fete attractions.  Action:  Sally to contact Noviellos about having an ice-cream van.  Action:  Claire M-F to rethink the catering to get the cafe, BBQ and bar to integrate better.  Action:  Sally to ask Corinne PR about having a big screen in the hall for the Wimbledon final.

(Secretary’s note: Apologies for the post meeting information which has been included).

Buy.atAction: Sally to promote. We raised £23.83 during 2010.

New ideas to be carried forward

A ballot paper has been suggested to poll parents for their opinions on future investments.  Action:  Emma to draft, Sally to publish on the website.

Website. Heather discussed the possibility of setting up a community website to help fundraise for the PTA. Concerns were raised whether this may clash with existing websites. To investigate further.

Noticeboard for main school. The Nursery noticeboard has been a great success and one by the wall for main school would be much appreciated. Action: Nigel to consider/cost.

Bulk purchase of theatre tickets for group trips? Action: Claire M-F to investigate further options.

Christmas tree sales. Action: Heather to investigate.

Sell photos from school trips. Action:  Dulcie to investigate.

Wedding card competition. Run a competition amongst the children to design a card for the royal wedding on 28th April.  Action: Dulcie to investigate the possibility of having Andy Day judge the competition.

Leaver’s mug. Action: Sally to look into a leaver’s mug for year 6.

Bunting. Needs further promotion.  Jane Redford’s Mum has volunteered to help create blanks for sale.

Yellow Moon. We have signed up as a beneficiary again but it relies on people using the service AND quoting the source code of SLE1074 when ordering. A cheque from the December orders arrived in February to the value of £66.70.

Action:  Sally to order paper for printing/copying.  It has been suggested the Gestetner could now be resold.

There is a possibility that the PTA shed will move in time to come. The current parking bay for the minibus looks like a suitable location.

The school has been invited to participate in the 2012 Diamond Jubilee celebrations and it has been mooted that we shift our summer fayre efforts for that year.  The organisers anticipate 2-3,000 visitors and are laying on free buses from Amersham, Chesham and Bovingdon.  The date is set for Monday 4th June.

The next meeting is on Monday 9th May in The Crown, at 8pm